Right now, we tell them to not use Jabber to dial 911. Use a cell phone or a 
land line. I honestly do not see people raising their headsets to their head 
and dialing 911 from Jabber. So I don’t see there being a lot of this.

That being said, I’ve spun up a few extra DIDs and listed them as mobile 
devices and mask 911 calls from Jabber with these numbers. (Through my PSALI 
subscription).

I’m hoping to work with a company like you suggest to build out a better 
solution at some point.

I think the company you were referring to was a Canadian company bought out by 
West and had their own PSAP. It was quite the ingenious solution.

https://www.west.com/en_ca/safety-services/

There’s also RedSky.

You can further expand this request to on-campus location services. I find it 
interesting that there still isn’t a good way to find location using 
triangulation of APs or using the GPS (if available) of the device.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A. | Senior Analyst
Computing and Communications Services | University of Guelph
Room 037 Animal Science & Nutrition Bldg | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 56354 | [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

www.uoguelph.ca/ccs<http://www.uoguelph.ca/ccs> | @UofGCCS on Instagram, 
Twitter and Facebook

[University of Guelph Cornerstone with Improve Life tagline]

From: cisco-voip <[email protected]> On Behalf Of Scott Voll
Sent: Thursday, October 3, 2019 2:14 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [cisco-voip] How are you all dealing with Jabber and 911????

CER / CM 12.5

See attached PDF of for the diagram.  Starting at the bottom left you see all 
our Jabber stuff internally goes to CM and CER and works as needed.

Moving our way up the diagram you will see a line from the working condition 
going up to remote users.  corporate laptops that are connected via the VPN. 
(problem number 1)

Down from that, is non corp, home users that are using jabber in the office via 
there RDP connection over the VPN. (problem number 2)

then at the top is the jabber clients that have internet access coming in via 
Expressways (problem number 3).

what are others doing about routing 911?  we currently use desk phones in the 
office, but we may be moving to jabber and ditching the desk phones.  we really 
need to come up with a way for 911 to work, no matter the connectivity.

Back, back in the day, I remember that a very large aircraft company used a 
third party (can't remember who they used) with IP communicator that asked for 
a address and routed 911 out the local 911 call center via a SIP trunk.  This 
is the only way I can think to fix this problem, IF that e911 provider is still 
around, and IF they work with Jabber.  Do you guys have any other options?

TIA

Scott

_______________________________________________
cisco-voip mailing list
[email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip

Reply via email to