From: Chuck [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 17 July 2002 2:15 a.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ip unnumbered [7:48894]

recall that the link between you and whomever is a two host network. if you
were numbering, you would most likely use a /30. even when connecting to the
internet, this link need not use public IP space. Your ISP is most likely
using a static route to you, and you in turn are using a static route to
them.

them: ip route "your public space" out interface X

You: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 interface Y

this is a regular practice.

IP unnumbered is even better, because then no one has to commit to or agree
upon address, and no one has to waste public space.

Usually, you would number your ethernet port with a public number, and you
would use an ip unnumbered off that publicly addressed interface.

HTH