I think the RFC that say's keepalives must be at least 2 hours isn't very
security conscious.  What I mean is if you take a syn attack, it sets up
connections and then never sends any data, holding the connection in a
half-open state.  I know there's a finite number of connections that a host
can have open at one time, so once that number is reached, no one else can
communicate (I understand that this has been fixed in various ways in
different TCP/IP stacks).

But I'd have to say that one could hold open a bunch of these sessions, I
guess you'd call them open-hung states, and eventually knock off the system
as well.  I don't think a session should stay open for that long, but at the
same time, I wouldn't think it should close after 500 ms of not hearing any
data either. I guess you need a balance, but how much I'd have no idea.
\\