By default, most OS's will keep the sockets open. When you created a socket,
you can include the SO_KEEPALIVE option. This will keep the socket open for
tcp_keepalive_interval  value of the OS, the defult is 2 hours on microsoft
and Solaris sysems. If you do not use this socket options they will stay
open forever theoretically unless the OS does some type of housekeeping that
closes old/stale file descriptors or something similiar since a socket is
simply a file descriptor. This keepalive in the OS is configurable through
ndd command in solaris or through the registry in Windows.

Thanks everyone for the info.