Replying to myself ...

1. I think we can migrate to cheaper hosts incrementally, I suggest moving the database first and access it from the current app servers, and then move those next.

2. I think that specifically we should use https://postgres.heroku.com/ as the cloud to host the database specifically, which would be quality managed by experts, and put our web application and other stuff somewhere else. I don't know what our traffic is, but I suspect their $50/month cheapest production-level plan should do the job. They also have a $9/month developer plan which might alternately meet our needs but probably carries more risk and has no RAM cache while the $50 one has cache. Either way, that's significantly cheaper than the $100+ we currently pay for one of our 3 existing servers dedicated to the database, which can be shutdown after migration. I think the only thing we lose is having higher database access latencies, but if our traffic is low I don't think that'll be a problem.

3. With the database on Heroku, everything else should require fewer servers, and perhaps Amazon cloud for those will suffice.

4. I am willing to make a relatively large one-time donation specifically for paying our resident technical expert(s), the ones who setup or maintained Citizendium already, to migrate Citizendium to new servers, in addition to the flat $10/month I've donated for maintenance continuously since Citizendium launched. I would pay this directly to said technical person. Actual amount and details I can discuss with them. Also, at least for the database migration, once that's done it should reduce further maintenance work in theory.

5. With appropriate choices I believe we can move Citizendium to significantly cheaper hosting without loss of functionality. And we shouldn't have to pay more than about $100/month given Citizendium's current useage level.

-- Darren Duncan