On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 09:43:08PM +0200, Benny Pedersen said:

> why is clamav installing new db when upgrade from sources ?
>
> should it not be sufficient with a run of freshclam before install ?
>
> problem with db in tarball is that it sometimes even downgrade db that
> is installed, this problem comes mostly when new clamav is buildt from
> source
>
> should this be solved in package managers or upstream ?

Since clamd, clamscan, and so on won't start without a valid database file
or two, it makes sense to make the default install contain a database.
Currently the Debian packages conditionally install the databases
shipped with a new release, taking care not to overwrite existing files.
It would be nice if make install had the same behavior, but that's not
trivial to do with automake, and I'm not sure it's worth the time it
would take to get the logic right.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The rule on staying alive as a          |
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             | forecaster is to give 'em a number or   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | give 'em a date, but never give 'em     |
|                                | both at once.   -- Jane Bryant Quinn    |