On Feb 16, 2004, at 01:52, Andy Fiddaman wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Nigel Horne wrote:

; On Monday 16 Feb 2004 4:37 am, Doug Hardie wrote:
;
; > Feb 15 19:14:18 <1.4> zoon clamav-milter: ClamAv: private data not NULL
; > What does the message mean and is
; > there a configuration parameter I need to alter to avoid it?
;
; This sounds like an error thrown by sendmail even though sendmail makes it
; look like it came from clamav. Check your sendmail.mc file is correct.

This is a message from libmilter which means that the milter returned from
cb_eom or that the milter context session terminated in some other way but
that the context private data was not NULL - so it's a problem in the
milter somewhere - probably just a condition where clamfi_cleanup isn't
called. The warning is just to let you know that there's a memory leak.

Thanks. I found the message in libmilter. I suspect this may be the reason that I periodically run out of memory. Occasionally sendmail completely loses all ability to function and I get a large string of out of memory errors from it (malloc unable to allocate). I have to restart sendmail, clamd, and clamav-milter to get things going again.

(While I'm looking, there are also a few places where memory can leak in
clamfi_envfrom. It mallocs the private data structure then can return
without freeing it or assigning it to the session context, so it will
never be cleaned up. It just needs a few free(privdata) calls before the
'return cl_error' lines.)

Andy

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net is sponsored by: Speed Start Your Linux Apps Now. Build and deploy apps & Web services for Linux with a free DVD software kit from IBM. Click Now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1356&alloc_id=3438&op=click _______________________________________________ Clamav-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clamav-users

-- Doug