On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 at 14:26:05 -0500, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
[...]
> The only thing I still don't understand is why clamscan is so
> much faster than clamdscan, and why clamscan only uses 25M
> of process memory while clamdscan uses over 298M of process
> memory during the scan:

1) When scanning a big file with clamdscan, a time savings thanks to
_not_ loading the database at startup is little as compared with
scanning time of the data itself.

2) clamdscan can be configured (in clamav.conf) to use more features
than you requested for clamscan in command line (e.g. ScanMail). If so,
scanning with clamdscan can require more resources than simple
'clamscan'.

--
 Tomasz Papszun   SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland  | And it's only
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/   | ones and zeros.