On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 02:58:11PM -0400, Randall Perry wrote:
> >> I'd rather use the MTA than the MDA for filtering.
> >
> > Then you'll need an MTA with finre grained ACL's than sendmail.
> Ok, that's what I was trying to find out -- if it can be done with sendmail.
> Guess not.

Not with plain sendmail, you can certainly do quite a lot using sendmail.cf
hackery, but you will always need some form of glue to be able to call
spamassassin. The glue could either be procmail, or a milter (or
something that hijacks the *:25 listening socket, like amavisd-new).
There are various milter options, but you will need to modify one to
suit your needs.

I can recommend mimedefang, which provides an almost complete perl
interface to milter in a very stable manner. It would probably need
a few lines of perl code in the default filter config to do the
selection based on recipient.

Note- you can only call spamassassin after you received the entire
mail body, so, after the DATA phase in SMTP. An email might be
adressed to multiple users (and spam will more than often be
adressed to many users). Some of those users may have opted in
for spam filtering, others may not have opted in. At that point
in the SMTP conversation, your only options are to either accept
the entire message, for all recipients, or to reject it, for all
recipients.

Bouncing spam is a /very/ bad idea that will undoubtedly put you quickly
on a lot of local blacklists, so that's not an option either.

So unless all recipients of an email agree on the required action,
you can either mark spam with a custom header/modified subject/whatever,
and leave it to the users to sort the spam out, put the message in some
"spam" folder for some users, or simply discard the message.

--
#!perl -wpl # mmfppfmpmmpp mmpffm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
$p=3-2*/[^\W\dmpf_]/i;s.[a-z]{$p}.vec($f=join('',$p-1?chr(sub{$_[0]*9+$_[1]*3+