On Nov 15, 2004, at 12:43 PM, Matt wrote:

If the standard database was segregated, some people would inevitably
cock up their configs and run with partial protection. This can cause
problems not only for themselves, but others, in the case of propogation.

Whitelist all traffic you want to allow! Mail servers, web sites...there must be a way. After reading how Lexmark is apparently having their *drivers* phone home, and the number of emails from spammers that may link to pages where users happily click away their lifesavings....and...there's just getting to be too much. It is getting utterly hopeless to have some kind of order arise from the UBE/UCE/Spam/Spim/trojan/virus/worm/scammer/ad content/spyware/etc. muck and mire we're currently dealing with.

I need a new career :-(

There is also the fact, and I am sure that I am not alone, in being very
draconian. You control the machines, the users get what they are given :)

This is why UNIX had the "modular black box" model, as I recall...take the app, make it focus on it's task, and if you need other functionality, it was done in another app. Chain together. Repeat as necessary.

Some...many...ISPs would want a scoring system for spam so users can have an opportunity to filter themselves or decide their tolerance and training levels.

Others, like my school, need to make decisions FOR everyone because there's too many users that just don't take the time to learn how to use it. We have too much user turnover and it's impractical with our human resources to keep people up to speed when they really don't give a hoot about such things.

Some people don't like their messages being filtered at all...they prefer it done by themselves at the desktop. Some people combine it, some at the server, some at the desktop.

The modular model makes all these possible with ClamAV without ClamAV being twisted or bent to fit. It plugs in and does it's job, nothing more nothing less.