Bit Fuzzy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I personally know 7 people who fell prey to this
> practice, and I've gotten emails from users thanking us for the
> addition.
>
> Set it up as an option if needed, but as a network administrator, I'd
> rather be on the safe side and allow them to view the email held if they
> desire, than to find out that because it got through and put a hard
> working family in to financial turmoil.

If people require machines as desperately as that to prevent themselves
from falling for fraud attempts, humanity is truly doomed.

To those of you who argue that ClamAV should detect phishing attacks even
though tools like SpamAssassin are designed and inherently better suited
for doing that, I'd like to say that you will never really be able to
abandon SpamAssassin & Co. anyway.  ClamAV will never be able to replace
SpamAssassin without becoming SpamAssassin.

Bit Fuzzy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I can't believe this one subject can create such a mess.

I absolutely concur.  Considering that exactly _no one_ here demanded that
ClamAV abandon its capacity for detecting phishing attacks, little yellow
rubber ducks in PNG images, or whatever else, the uproar is truly
ludicrous.  What was actually requested is that there be an _option_ not
to scan for certain classes of malware.  No one would be disadvantaged by
that.

Oh well, I can only hope that the ClamAV developers won't let themselves
be deceived by specious counter-arguments such as "configurability is bad
because admins might goof up their config and then be insecure", and will
consider adding configurability for what to detect, or making the sig
database modular.

Everything else on the topic has been said, I think.