Matt Fretwell wrote:
Jim Maul wrote:

touch /var/log/test.log

Now why does it create the logfile as root?

While i get your point, it is irrelevant because it should not log in /var/log/ directly. It should log in /var/log/clamav/

The main point of my point, (I know that sounds weird), is that an admin who relies upon any piece of software to correctly create and set permissions on the logfile is asking for trouble. Clam is not alone in this. This is not a bug in Clam, it is poor admin technique on the part of the admin. Your logs are vital for a smoothly running system. The admin should take full control of their logs.

And the main point of my point (again with the weirdness) is that yes this should be handled by the admin, however it is indeed a (small) bug. While the situation SHOULD never come up, clamav should not attempt to create a log file which it can never write to.

-Jim