Eric Scopinho wrote:

But if I do that, some side effects could happen like:

- I'll need free space to store the file.
- The infected packets may get in while I store the next packets to scan.
- I have to download the whole file before send it to the end-user.

How else could you catch a virus whose signature happens to cross packet boundaries?

I assume you are talking about snort-inline plus the ClamAV preprocessor? As such you should be asking them. To be honest this isn't a problem the ClamAV people can help you with - it's not their fault your viruses don't arrive in nice 1500 byte chunks ;-)

However, I think you'll be out of luck. The only "network virus scanners" I know of are big beasts - because they effectively have to inline translate packets back to specific protocols (such as SMB/CIFS), pull the data content out, then run real AV over the fully formed files (or at least some largish data window). How they do that inline and manage to drop the session (i.e. killing the virus download) is a bit beyond me - I guess they rely on a RSET on the last packet being enough to cause the entire transfer to fail?

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417