R. Steven Rainwater wanted us to know:

>Thanks Todd, this was the first thing I've tried that helped. Prior to
>0.87, we were running max children at 25 and never had problems. I
>bumped it up to 40 now and that seems to have helped somewhat. We're
>still getting a couple of the error messages in the log every hour but
>it seems that overall, clamav-milter is now able to continue longer
>before sendmail starts rejecting everything. I adjusted my cron job to
>restart clamav-milter once a day instead of once an hour, so things are
>relatively stable compared to yesterday.

We set ours at 200.

Your first reaction is "No server can run with that kind of load", but
the problem is not that there are that many connections coming in at the
same time, it's that there are a bunch of cablemodems or dial up links
(low upstream bandwidth) that just take forever to send out their
messages (they're trying to send out too many for the amount of
bandwidth available to it).  The result is processes that hang forever
on our system.  We have a cronjob that does a
  killall -HUP sendmail
every 2 hours.  That clears out those hanging processes.

I figure if someone can't get a message to me in 2 hours of connect
time, I almost certainly don't want said message.

--
Regards...              Todd
There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: