Kris Deugau wrote:

From the problems I'm having with supposedly malformed signatures, it
looks like there's an effective complexity limit;  from the problems in
*matching* a signature that's finally been found to be acceptable, it
looks like there's a (lower) limit on what Clam can actually use in
matching.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Not to change the direction on you, but you might want to take advantage of the work Steve Basford is doing at http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/ for phishing problems, and also look at http://www.msrbl.com/site/stats for image and spam solutions. Both sites are providing excellent results on systems I'm running. The patterns are downloadable and very up to date. I've not had a single complaint of false positives, and the number of patterns provided is quite large.

Steve has also written a very useable how-to for creating these patterns.

dp