On Nov 7, 2006, at 6:48 PM, Jim Redman wrote:

Chris,

Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Jim Redman wrote:
Your opinions, seem to be the prevalent attitude of the vocal members of this
list - if you don't suffer, it wasn't worth it.
I would disagree, in that I don't see it as suffering.
Forgive me if I missed it, but what is your specific problem ? Perhaps we have different definitions of suffering. The only specific complaint I saw was the message "Your version is outdated", and that seems to me to be a very simple English declarative sentence, with a simple solution. You are running an old version, get a new one.

Sorry, my point has nothing to do with my particular suffering or any particular aspect of that - or at least only indirectly.

My observation is that of all the modern packages ClamAV fails to install and run successfully and securely without operator intervention. I think that this should be refined to reference Fedora packages and perhaps not all of them.

There are a number of reasons why I consider this a bad thing (other opinions have been expressed by others on the list).

1) It sucks my time because I immediately have to learn more than I want to about ClamAV (and freshclam and clamav-milter and the interactions between all these applications).

2) The installation is probably going to be sub-optimal because I don't have enough time to spend on ClamAV to become the expert that others on this list clearly are.

You don't have to be an expert to tune it if you're just reading the config file, though. If you have problems with the server spiking CPU usage or running out of RAM, it's not hard to look and see what settings would affect that.

If you can't do this and the material is out there for people to easily refer to, maybe you're short on staff (and need more people in your department) or there's some management problems that keep you from effectively doing your job, from the sounds of it.

3) It encourages bad/insecure installations because people (including me) without enough time to spend on researching the best way to install ClamAV (and associated apps) will be ignorant of possible security hole (or not recognize the significance of them). Bad installations could be REALLY bad - is there any way ClamAV could be instrumental in generating mails to the SENDER of a virus e-mail?

This can be a problem with ANY software. I don't know anything about AutoCAD, yet am expected to install and troubleshoot it at times. I rely on the people who know AutoCAD (but squat about computers) to tell me when something is "wrong" with their install and troubleshoot it from there (yes, we're understaffed, otherwise I'd dedicate more time to learning it; just the reality of the situation).

It means that either they hire more people, let me dedicate more time to troubleshooting and repairing server work, or suffer the consequences of the short staffed. I'm not going to bitch to the software programmers that they need to fix my problems that are caused by management on my side, though, since there is documentation and references available for the software package...I just click through the defaults and mop up problems later on.

4) (Altruism) It limits the adoption of ClamAV which in turn increase the number/penetration of viruses.

Maybe the project doesn't WANT people who have problems with their installs caused by willful ignorance...just a thought. The OP showed this right off with the title "cherishing my ignorance". If someone wants a labor-centric job with no skills to enhance, apply at McBurger King. They cherish employees who cherish ignorance because they're easy to hire and fire.

IT isn't a McJob that it seems to get treated as. One person doing overlapping job skills without an adequate staff to support them will cause problems, and the business needs to recognize that.