On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 20:42 -0400, Daniel Staal wrote:
> --As of September 17, 2007 10:22:35 AM +1000, Graeme Nichols is alleged to
> have said:
>
> > 1. The package I used to upgrade clamav was built by Redhat/Fedora for F7
> > so surely should be able to be trusted for use on a Fedora 7 system. Sure,
> > packages from other package builders could have been built on any distro
> > or release and *could* introduce problems.
> > 2. Why has there been a change in the packaging of clamav? Freshclam is
> > essential to the operation of clamav and *should* be in the same package
> > as clamav.
>
> As for the second: That is up to the package maintainer, who may or may not
> be on this list.  The clamav team _does_ include freshclam with clamav, in
> their source tarballs.  If it is not included in this package, it is
> because the creator of this package has intentionally removed it.

With F7, the maintainers seem to have split clamav into even more
packages. The base clamav package contains clamscan, clamdscan, sigtool
and some other stuff. Clamd is in the clamav-server package and
freshclam is in the clamav-update package. This was gleaned from
inspection of the clamav packages in F7 updates dated 06-Sep-2007.

I'm not sure why they did this, but I guess it helps reduce the number
of programs required for a minimal install. Still, to update a server
running clamd, you would need to update clamav, clamav-data or
clamav-data-empty, clamav-filesystem, clamav-lib, clamav-server, and
clamav-update. Of course, if you're using the milter, then you also
need clamav-milter.

        -Bill