Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Jon Wagoner - Red Cheetah wrote:
>
>> Yes, I'm periodically doing scans of the full drive.  I could just skip
>> the mysql directory, but that seems pretty bad security practice.
>
> Why does it seem that way to you ?
>
> I don't think scanning raw mysql database files is going to give usefull
> results. Myy gut is that you should in fact exclude them.
>
> If a database has specific content that could contain a virus and be a
> problem (is used to store e-mail or downloadable files), then I would think
> the only real way to do it is to write something to extract that data and
> scan it outside of the DB file, each one separately -- as if they were
> individual files.

Yep - that is what I meant by viable. To be a threat a virus or what ever has
to be
able to do something and while that is possible in a database file it is often
unlikely. And the database engine has to extract that problem data to a system
file
and .... blah blah blah.

Another don't bother kind of file is a virtual machine HDD file. No point
scanning
them with the host as the file means nothing to the host. No virus can escape.
From
within the vm it's a different story and that is where the scanning should take
place.

dp