On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Jon Wagoner - Red Cheetah wrote:

> It appears clamav just does a substring match on the exclude, so it
> would be easy to hide viruses.  E.g. If I excluded .MYD, then you could
> just have your virus named somevirus.MYD and it would not be caught.  If

I would not exclude *.MYD globally. However:

> I tried to exclude the mysql dir, then a user could have a virus hidden
> in /home/someuser/var/lib/mysql/my-virus-here.

Users should not be able to write to that directory at all, it should be
owned/group mysql. If someone did put a virus there you would probably have
a bigger problem - namely that mysql had been hacked.

Clamd is for scanning specific things, and I don't think mysql db files is
one of them. Not that verifying the integrity of your mysql files isn't a
good idea, but I think it will take more than clam to do it. Off the top of
my head you would want to look for named files that don't belong. After
that, a DB integrity check (a good idea anyway) would find other files
pretending to be DB files, as they would fail.

Chris Candreva  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- (914) 948-3162
http://www.westnet.com/