Hi there,

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 Baz wrote:

> I installed ClamAV and ran a scan on my entire system returning a
> report of one infected file.  How do I find this file?  I

Did you accidentally press 'send' too soon?  I'm sure you intended to
tell us just what your system is and how you installed ClamAV on it;
exactly what you did, and exactly what you saw, when you ran the scan
process.  Clearly without that information we will be at considerable
disadvantage, any help that we can give will of necessity be couched
in fairly general terms.  Don't forget that there are people here who
run ClamAV on a bewildering variety of combinations of hardware and
software, for very much more than the odd scan of their system files.

So here's some fairly general help.

First, and probably most important, read everything you can find that
might help you to help yourself.  That's a common theme in the open
source software world.  If you want to optimize the help you get from
lists like this one, here's something important you need to read soon:

Second, there are lots of ways of finding the file which you seek, but
of course the methods will depend on information that unfortunately
wasn't provided with your question.  I suspect that you ran 'clamscan'
and you were rewarded with a _very_ large list of file names, to each
of which was appended the four characters ": OK", and at the end of
the list was a summary, which is how you came by the information that
one of the files is infected.  On almost any computer system, the list
of filenames on a full system scan would be so long that it scrolled
most of the information that you were hoping for (that is, the names
of any infected files) off the top of the screen so quickly you had no
chance to read it.  Am I right?  Well, one way of stopping this from
happening is to press 'CTRL-S' (that is, you hold down the 'CTRL' key
and press the 'S' key once) which stops the text scrolling on most
systems.  Then to make it start scrolling again, press 'CTRL-Q'.  You
need to be quick, and fairly patient, to do it this way.  You could
avoid this problem by using your wits (also a common theme in the open
source world) for example by piping output from your scan command
through 'grep' - if you have a system which permits piping output and
has 'grep' installed on it.  If you haven't got 'grep' (already I can
hear people asking "What use is a system that doesn't have grep and
can't pipe output?"  but never mind that for the moment:) then you
could send the entire output of your scan to a file, and use a pager
or a text editor to search for the rogue file.  If you haven't got or
can't use a pager or an editor for some reason, then maybe you'll be
able to read the output over the Christmas break, or come back here
with more information.  Please be assured that what you want to do is
trivially easy to do.

Your next question is taking vague shape in my mind.  It has to do
with what the file is that you've found, and what you should do with
it.  For today, I've guessed as much as I'm prepared to guess, and I
probably wouldn't have done that if it wasn't Christmas Eve.

Compliments of the season to all.

--

73,
Ged.