Paul Kosinski wrote:
> In December 2006, we were running ClamAV 0.88.7, and there were still
> a fair number of "real" viruses being detected in inbound email. Now
> running 0.91.2 and 0.92, there seem to be only phishing attempts, and
> not even very many of them. In fact it seems that our log file shows
> almost as many (hourly) signature update messages as phish detections
> (much less "real" virus detections).
>
> Have other ClamAV users experienced a similar decline in email
> attacks?
>
> P.S. I haven't disabled anything in our local conf file, and I don't
> think there is any upstream AV. (Our domain's first level mail server
> runs on a dedicated machine at our Web provider, but doesn't run any
> AV there since it simply relays to our local gateway, where admin is
> easier.)

You didn't provide any numbers, but it is no surprise you now see a lot of
scams and
phishing stuff as you weren't seeing those before. But the rate of old school
viruses
detected should remain approximately constant. On my servers the rate of old
fashion
viruses remains rather constant over time but a detailed view shows they come
in
waves possibly indicating re-infection of target machines. In many cases the
payload
of these viruses is a phishing and scam messaging bot. Consequently, phishing
and
scam messages, offering a real monetary return to the creator, are growing
quickly.
They are now the reason for the viruses. There are probably still viruses that
are
intended to simply trash the machine being distributed but that is no longer
the
norm. In fact those kinds of viruses would probably be of some value today at
reducing the amount of other junk mail. It's often been suggested that a good
bot
killer virus would be a good thing for the Internet. I'm almost ready to agree.

dp