Michael Brown wrote:
> The | character is not allowed in any e-mail address because it's a Unix
> shell reserved character.
>
> Here's a list right off the top of my head that are usually
> blocked/disabled by just about every MTA out there.
>
>    1. Control Characters
>    2. Space
>    3. !
>    4. "
>    5. #
>    6. $
>    7. %
>    8. &
>    9. (
>   10. )
>   11. *
>   12. ,
>   13. /
>   14. :
>   15. ;
>   16. <
>   17.  >
>   18. @ (when used more than once)
>   19. [
>   20. \
>   21. ]
>   22. |
>   23. DEL

The characters was passed to apopen call, thus to be escaped for a shell.

The application shall quote the following characters if they are to
represent themselves:

    and the following may need to be quoted under certain circumstances.

    It's then up to $SENDMAIL_BIN to reject the address for having an embedded
newline :)