Am 14.04.2008 16:30 schrieb Michael Brown:
> The | character is not allowed in any e-mail address because it's a Unix
> shell reserved character.

RFC 2822 disagrees with you. To begin with, there's no reason reserved
characters of any Unix shell or other program should be disallowed in
E-mail addresses.

> Here's a list right off the top of my head that are usually
> blocked/disabled by just about every MTA out there.
>
>    1. Control Characters
>   23. DEL

Ok. These are indeed illegal by the RFCs.

>    2. Space

Not true. Valid E-mail addresses containing spaces do exist, although
their owners may have a hard time getting mails from some parts of
the 'net.

>    3. !
>   16. <
>   17.  >
>   18. @ (when used more than once)
>   19. [
>   20. \
>   21. ]

Ok in a way. These are special characters for the mail transport itself
(as opposed to some application program or shell) - though only
historically in the case of the exclamation mark - and are therefore
better avoided. Mail addresses containing one of these in the local
part (ie. before the last @) will indeed rarely go through.

>    4. "

Not true. In fact, any mail server I know of accepts mail addresses
whose local part is enclosed in double quotes just fine.

>    5. #
>    6. $
>    7. %
>    8. &
>   12. ,
>   13. /
>   14. :
>   15. ;

Not true. I have already seen every one of these characters in valid
E-mail addresses in the wild, and blocking them does generate complaints.
(btdt)

>    9. (
>   10. )
>   11. *
>   22. |

Not true either. While these are indeed rare, and may cause problems with
buggy and/or misconfigured mail software, they are legal by RFC 2822, and
blocking them is a policy decision which is far from unanimity. There are
many mailservers which will indeed accept these.

So why am I dissecting that list like this? Just to show that blocking
or not blocking certain unusal characters in mail addresses is indeed a
policy decision which should not be forced by a piece of software, but at
most offered as a configurable option.

HTH
T.