Charles Gregory wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, rick pim wrote:
>>  > > prime advantages of greylisting -- the fact that it will never
>>  > > block 'real' mail -- turns out, um, not to be true. there are so many
>>  > > standards-noncompliant MTAs out there....
>> ...... some of the offenders are high profile, fortune-500 companies.
>
> Could I just clarify this discussion? It started out with a specific
> comment about greylisting, which I am preparing to implement. So naturally
> it concerns me as to whether these remarks about 'big name' non-compliant
> MTA's still apply specifically to greylisting. I mean, I can't really
> imagine a 'big' (fortune 500?) company having an MTA that does not attempt
> to resend mail if it gets a 400 response from another MTA. I realize they
> break all sorts of other stuff. Non-compliant 'helo's and all that, but at
> least please tell me there isn't a 'big' company out there that is failing
> to handle 4xx codes properly.... (holding breath)

There are some big names that play badly with greylisting. They play
badly with greet-pause, too. A problem I've seen with greylisting is the
round-robin MTA pool. Each is told in turn to come back later and if the
pool is large it can take a long time to cycle through all of them. You
have to be careful how you screen the addresses.

dp