On 11.09.2008 16:52, Ian Eiloart wrote:
Now, having done that, I'm thinking PUA could be VERY useful. In fact, I've been considering banning outright the passing of executable files in archives - too many bits of malware are slipping through the net at the moment.

I don't quite see the connection. Malware should be caught by the
regular malware signatures, shouldn't it? PUAs as I understand them
are legitimate pieces of software that could also be put to bad uses.
A blanket ban on all executables is something else still - there may
conceivably exist executables that do not lend themselves to any bad
use. (For example, self-extracting driver installation packages.)

It would be nice if ClamAV were to have that option - perhaps "all executables" could constitute a class of PUA, perhaps?

Technically it's probably not too difficult. But I do not see a lot
of environments where such a policy could be maintained.

Probably that would need to be explicitly enabled...

Just as the present PUA sigs.

Anyway, can anyone think of a reason why anyone on a University Campus would (a) have a need to transfer files in any category below, and (b) not have access to alternative means like sftp?

(b) is easy: these alternative means require some server space where
the sending party can write and the receiving party can read.
Experience shows that this is a real obstacle.

As for (a), of course it depends heavily on policy, as well as the
precise definition of these categories, but for example:

Sub-Type: RAT is Remote Access Trojans
system admins, for example VNC or RAdmin

VNC is quite popular for remote support, and as such frequently
mailed to inexperienced users.

Sub-Type: NetTool
scanners, Netcat etc.

This is an extremely broad category. Netcat, in particular, is a
very educational tool and, in the absence of a global "no exe"
policy, could very well be mailed around for exercises.

Sub-Type: Tool
Example: PUA.Tool.PsKill-2

This is even broader. Many handy tools one might pass to someone
with a specific problem may fall into that category. Again, if
sending executables by mail isn't completely banned anyway,
mailing one of these might well be legitimate and useful.

Sub-Type: Script

Quite difficult. Scripts are cleartext after all. I see a big
risk of false positives when, for example, including problematic
script code in mail messages for discussion.

Sub-Type: Packed
make debugging difficult

Problematic too. I have already had several false positives in
the past where a user legitimately used a script packer which
was apparently also used by some malware. And that was with
signatures which didn't even intend to target the packer, but
the actual malware.

Sub-Type: IRC

I don't use IRC myself, but respectable people keep telling me
that it's not for bad guys only, there are legitimate uses for
it, and I should try it myself to see. So I am a bit reluctant
to declare all IRC server based programs "possibly unwanted".
Actual malware OTOH should be caught by the regular (non-PUA)
signatures already. Again, it all depends on the precise
definition of what would or would not go into that category.

jm2c
T.

--
Tilman Schmidt