John Smith wrote:

> Dennis Peterson Wrote:
>> And you've missed the point that some people here have claimed that
>> their clamd process has silently failed and was off line for days, and
>> other such claims. No amount of hand holding for creating config files
>> is going to make that problem better. That requires an interested admin.
>
> Maybe this will shine a different light on the issue.  I personally have
> ClamAV running as both a service on my firewall and as a desktop application
> (ClamWinAV).  For my desktop, I have watched the update logs and seen issue.
>
> My firewall is IPCOP and it has ClamAV as part of the system.  It updates
> and does not display errors through an automated process.
>
> I admit that I am still learning to control this beast, but having it fail
> with no notification is scary (at best) and dangerous (at worst).

As I've pointed out many processes die quietly. ClamAV is not unique in
any way in this regard. My response to that for the last 30 years is to
write or implement existing tools that monitor critical processes and
notify if there are failures. Those same monitors attempt to restart the
process and oft times this is successful. In any event, in my business I
am finally responsible for the safety of my customers and that is
something I take very seriously - even on weekends.

With the tools we have available to us today there is no reason a failed
process should remain a secret.

dp