Tomasz Kojm wrote:

> Freshclam also submits information about detections with 3rd party signatures.

We only have one host in our environment that does freshclam (or any of
the other virus signature update mechanisms).  It verifies the validity
of the data (makes sure nothing will die as a result, etc.), and then
pushes the new data out into a shared data space for the other hosts to
pick up.  This is done both for our own internal safety/sanity check AND
to ensure all of our production hosts get the same data at the same
time.  It also means that no matter how many production hosts we have,
we only impact each signature site with one database refresh per update
cycle.

The host in question doesn't get much (if any) traffic, except when
we're running tests.  So, even then, it only gets synthetic traffic, not
real traffic.  Meanwhile, the hosts that get real traffic don't run
freshclam at all.  Nor do we want those hosts to ever run freshclam (at
least, we don't want them to ever run freshclam for the purpose of
receiving new virus signatures).

Do you have any thoughts about how we can get the stats to you, so that
you can use them, without bypassing our mechanism for ensuring
consistent and safe updating of our virus signatures?