On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:41:50 -0700, John Rudd wrote
> Tomasz Kojm wrote:
> >
> > Freshclam also submits information about detections with 3rd party
> > signatures.
> >

> We only have one host in our environment that does freshclam (or any of
> the other virus signature update mechanisms).

Same here.
Also with this setup we get logwatch warning messages as follows:

 --------------------- clam-update Begin ------------------------

 No updates detected in the log for the freshclam daemon (the
 ClamAV update process).  If the freshclam daemon is not running,
 you may need to restart it.  Other options:

 A. If you no longer wish to run freshclam, deleting the log file
    (default is freshclam.log) will suppress this error message.

 B. If you use a different log file, update the appropriate
    configuration file.  For example:
       echo "LogFile = log_file" >> /etc/logwatch/conf/logfiles/clam-update.conf
    where log_file is the filename of the freshclam log file.

 C. If you are logging using syslog, you need to indicate that your
    log file uses the syslog format.  For example:
       echo "*OnlyService = freshclam" >>
/etc/logwatch/conf/logfiles/clam-update.conf
       echo "*RemoveHeaders" >> /etc/logwatch/conf/logfiles/clam-update.conf

In spite of following the suggestions, these message still come out every day.
We are not running clamd on this server. Could it be that logwatch is checking
for
something produced by clamd instead of freshclam?

--
Bill Maidment
Maidment Enterprises Pty Ltd