Richard J. Kieran wrote:
> I can't believe I got not a single response to this, so I'm trying again:
>
> I'm running clamd with MIMEDefang on a CentOS machine. Once in a while there
> will be a day when there are many "Problem running virus scanner: code=999"
> errors, anywhere from 1 or 2 (who cares?) to 4486 (now I'm concerned...),
> like yesterday. The next
> day, all will be back to normal until it happens again. Here is a maillog
> entry:
>
> Dec  1 00:03:15 fdr mimedefang.pl[4798]: mB153Ere005745: Could not connect to
> clamd daemon at /var/spool/MIMEDefang/clamd.sock

This is the real problem, mimedefang can't connect to clamd.
Maybe clamd isn't running, or maybe there are too many
connections.  If clamd is running, check the settings of
MaxConnectionQueueLength and MaxThreads in clamd.conf.

> Dec  1 00:03:15 fdr mimedefang.pl[4798]: Problem running virus scanner:
> code=999, category=cannot-execute, action=tempfail
> Dec  1 00:03:15 fdr mimedefang.pl[4798]: filter: mB153Ere005745:  tempfail=1
> Dec  1 00:03:15 fdr mimedefang[4793]: mB153Ere005745: Tempfailing because
> filter instructed us to
> Dec  1 00:03:15 fdr sm-mta[5745]: mB153Ere005745: Milter: data, reject=451
> 4.3.0 Problem running virus-scanner

These four entries are mimedefang errors and not really useful
beyond they tell us that the message was tempfailed because
mimedefang couldn't talk to clamd.

> I found this entry in the clamd.log:
> Mon Dec  1 11:02:11 2008 -> ERROR: LOCAL: Socket file
> /var/spool/MIMEDefang/clamd.sock is in use by another process.

Something tried to (re)start clamd but the socket already
existed and "something" was using the socket.  My assumption
is that clamd is already running and something/someone tried
to start it again.

> Occurrences of the first error seem to be vaguely accompanied by the second,
> but I have seen the second when restarting clamd manually, and I have a
> script that restarts clamd when it sees virus scanner errors in the maillog,
> so that may explain the
> relationship. If that is a separate problem, I'd like to solve it also, but
> the tempfails are more of a concern at the moment.
> Richard

It's not clear what you mean by "first" and "second" error.  I
expect the mimedefang.pl "could not connect" error to always
be followed by one or more of the code=999 & friends error
sequence.

The clamd "clamd.sock is in use"  error will only occur when
you start clamd when it's already running.

--
Noel Jones