Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:50:44 -0800
> Dennis Peterson <denni...@inetnw.com> wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:

>>> Did you not check the version number in  the clamd log, or the timestamps?
>>>
>> Are all vestiges of previous versions of ClamAV gone? Specifically,
>> libraries.
>> What do you get when running ldd against the ClamAV binaries? I suggest this
>> only to eliminate a common and recurring problem with ClamAV installations
>> and
>> that is left-overs from earlier versions.
>>
>> dp
>> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
>> http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
>
> I shut everything down, ran the uninstall for 0.94.2, then the install from
> svn, with no change ):

Ok -- looks good so far. But... One thing I forgot to mention in the earlier
note is to never ever trust the uninstall tool nor the rpm tool dejur to
actually completely uninstall anything. They can fail with mysterious results.

The other issue is any tests you do with ldd can be account-sensitive. Some
accounts for example may have LD_LIBRARY_PATH defined, others not. Some systems
admins set that as a global, some don't. Some systems (Solaris, for example)
have global library paths set using crle, others use ldconfig. It's a crazy
world. Then there are the hard-coded path dependencies built into the build
process of specific applications. You absolutely cannot depend on version
x.xx.x
to uninstall version x.xx, so if you no longer have the earlier version source
to do the uninstall you should expect to manually review the debris left
behind.
This is especially true of rpm's that come from different sources - the
builders
don't connect with each other to ensure one builder's package is compatible in
any way with that of another builder.

What this means is don't trust anything, scan your environment to see if there
are legacy bits laying about and get rid of them. You may not find them but if
you do you certainly would not be the first.

dp