Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:57:52 -0800
> Dennis Peterson <denni...@inetnw.com> wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:

>>> I shut everything down, ran the uninstall for 0.94.2, then the install from
>>> svn, with no change ):
>>
>> Ok -- looks good so far. But... One thing I forgot to mention in the earlier
>> note is to never ever trust the uninstall tool nor the rpm tool dejur to
>> actually completely uninstall anything. They can fail with mysterious
>> results.
> I've had no problems with the uninstall/install method when building clamav
> from source so far... and debian doesn't use rpm (:
>> The other issue is any tests you do with ldd can be account-sensitive. Some
>> accounts for example may have LD_LIBRARY_PATH defined, others not. Some
>> systems
>> admins set that as a global, some don't. Some systems (Solaris, for example)
>> have global library paths set using crle, others use ldconfig. It's a crazy
>> world. Then there are the hard-coded path dependencies built into the build
>> process of specific applications. You absolutely cannot depend on version
>> x.xx.x
>> to uninstall version x.xx, so if you no longer have the earlier version
>> source
>> to do the uninstall you should expect to manually review the debris left
>> behind.
>> This is especially true of rpm's that come from different sources - the
>> builders
>> don't connect with each other to ensure one builder's package is compatible
>> in
>> any way with that of another builder.
> I am the sysadm, installs/startups/tests are all run as root. I never use
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH unless absolutely necessary, it's too much of a security
> liability. This is all running on a 32 bit debian stable VPS. As I said
> before, I uninstalled using 0.94.2 and installed the current subversion
> install. I can find no fault with this, the developers of clamav have been
> exemplary in this.
>
> All of this is built from source, I have never, ever mentioned rpms.
>> What this means is don't trust anything, scan your environment to see if
>> there
>> are legacy bits laying about and get rid of them. You may not find them but
>> if
>> you do you certainly would not be the first.
> Look, I'm a systems administrator, so I'm paid to be a pessimist (:
>> dp
>> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
>> http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
> My main frustration is that the only way I can get more information from the
> applications is to rewrite the
>  code itself... at least it's written in a real language (runs for cover!).
> but it would be great to be able to change the log level to get more detailed
> info out. Then I would be able to take a more proactive approach in debugging
> [...]

Ok - I'm just a guy sitting here in Bellevue, Washington sharing experiences
while having no specific information about your environment. Not everything
(and
often nothing) will apply. But you and I agree about LD_LIBRARY_PATH and other
things. But I've been doing this for 30 years so when we get to this point and
it still doesn't work I fall back on my favorite piece of advice. If you have a
problem that is uncommon then very often something you are sure of is wrong.

Best of luck getting it sorted out - pessimism is your friend :)

dp