To preface the importance of what is being said:

1) Production servers should ALL have UPS and UPS should be tested, and if
power outages are longer than the UPS ability to maintain, some proper shutdown
mechanism must be enabled (do not be cheap with production servers).

2) I have hard booted linux boxes (FreeBSD should be very much similar - OS X -
) many many many times (in a lab environment, and on rare occasions in
production) and have never experienced this, unless as stated here, there was a
greater issue with the installation such as a failing drive, incorrect settings
on a RAID, or something more sinister, which in turn would cause ALL kinds of
failures. Services would not start up (missing configs and libs), etc...

3) I've compiled ClamAV since it is not available through yum on my distro (at
least the latest version) and have had no issues of the kind you describe
specifically related to clam.

4) Do you have anything like tripwire installed (yes you can tell exactly what
files have been altered) ? You would have needed to install it before the
system became unstable.

5) Do not focus on clam, focus on the fact that a file is getting corrupted
when it should not. Do you have other mechanisms installed that check, or
maintain files for you? Some other security. Is SELinux enabled (this is a far
shot)? ONLY IF YOU ARE ABSOLUTLY SURE THIS IS THE ONLY FILE!

All of the advice on this thread has been dead on. Critical systems should not
be able to fail in this manor, and a good understanding of file structure and
systems is important in being able to trace it down.