[ .. ]

I do this to keep the same code available to all my systems. I have
separate mounts for 32- and 64-bit.

For something like ClamAV, I don't see the point. You seem to be
making it harder for yourself than it needs to be.
This is a matter of opinion :-) My goal is to have the code all NFS mounted, but at the moment our internal rollout process is localized.

What's happening is the clamav installation (make install) creates a file *.tmp and removes it. This is why the process failed because I mount the directory read-only on most of the systems to prevent corruption. This is easily resolved by simply using another NFS mount from where I keep distribution src.

For ClamAV, the installation will fail because the NFS mount itself is
read-only (ro):

As Mr. Swiger said, that's expected.
I know that. I just asked if there was a way around it, and I see my solution will work (separate mount).

... I wonder if there's a clever way around this. I really don't want
to go through and change the mounts to read-write -- they are read-only
for a reason -- or copy the code over and install each individually.

As I said, I think you're making this harder than it needs to be. You
do know that after "make install" you can delete the entire source tree
if you don't want to keep it? What's wrong with a small shell script?

I think you misunderstand. I'm keeping the source tree -- one build for 32-bit, the other for 64-bit. It would otherwise make no sense to bring the code to each system and build repeatedly :-)

ClamAV has very little overhead that I can tell, but what I'm concerned about with NFS is if these systems utilize an NFS mount, then the daily signature updates will need to be moved off; at the moment they are defaulting to:

/usr/local/share/clamav
/usr/local/share/clamav/mirrors.dat
/usr/local/share/clamav/bytecode.cld
/usr/local/share/clamav/daily.cld
/usr/local/share/clamav/main.cld

I can set this in the freshclam.conf file to /var/lib/clamav - but it's another directory to worry about locally which I can address with Puppet.

Thanks.