I use ClamAV not only because it costs nothing, but also, and mainly,
because it is Open Source, and as such, I trust it more than I trust
proprietary AV software, much of which is bloated, and some of which is
reputed to do creepy things. (Not to mention there isn't very much AV
software for Linux.)  Our one Windows 7 machine also has Microsoft's
free AV scanner for "defense in depth" because ... if you're using
Windows, you pretty much have to trust Microsoft.

I not only use ClamAV to scan email, I also use it with HAVP to scan
HTTP, and am even thinking about maybe setting up a MITM for HTTPS
(like much commercial AV does, which is part of the reason I am
suspicious of it). Since I currently can't scan HTTPS traffic, I scan
everything I download via HTTPS manually, especially such critical items
as Samba source.

I also use ClamAV to scan removable drives. In other words, I think
ClamAV is much more than just an email scanner.

Paul Kosinski

P.S. I compile Samba myself because I make a slight change to the way
the VFS-Recycle component names versions: I name the backup of "X" to
be "X.1" rather than "Copy-of-X". (That may be the Microsoft Way, but
it sorts neither alphabetically nor chronologically next to "X".)