After posting a while ago about scanning (extremely) large disk images,
I realized that files need not be contiguous in a disk image. It all
depends on the block allocation algorithm of the file system and, in
many cases, to fragmentation that occurs as the disk is used.

So, even if you could scan a terabyte+ disk image as one long stream,
a virus signature might escape detection due to being split in half.