Thanks for your replies.

My particular use case is a network that is physically disconnected
from the internet. Storage devices are allowed though, so I bring a
fresh virus database from time to time. It's used to run nightly scans
on shared network filesystems where malware occasionally show up. I
guess it comes from storage devices too and that was mostly fixed by
installing USB Disk Security on Windows machines. However it only
helps from autoruns, not from infected binaries, so scheduled scans
are still needed (and I think that's a good practice anyway).

Long story short: what is the recommended way to handle this scenario?
I'm thinking of setting up a local mirror on the internet-capable
machine and then take CVDs from there (with checksums or whatsoever).

PS You may wonder if I'm the fool admin mentioned above but that's not
the case (at least the admin part). I'm a user of this network who
volunteered to help with the malware problem with no budget or means
to change security rules.

Alexey