Is the reason you don't want people downloading the CVDs directly
because that approach doesn't distribute the load, or do you have
some changes in mind for Freshclam that are incompatible with simple
direct downloading?

I'd hate to see ClamAV going the way of smartphones and tablets, with
specialized "apps" using opaque protocols replacing HTML and other open
protocols. (Not to mention that recent smartphones seem only to allow
MTP and similar restrictive protocols, as opposed to having the device
export its complete file system over USB like earlier Androids did.)