Hello,

Insist :) Well, its considered bad practice to upgrade packages independently on a RH-based system where dependancies break. Security fixes are back-ported to older versions to preserve versioning an compatibility. Thats a Redhat feature I agree, and RHEL5 will be EOL in 28 days, so perhaps that point will be moot on April 1 2017.

So insisting on upgrading libraries on a .rpm system in a scenario where the distro is not EOL'ed is probably not what the general userbase of those distros will be able/willing to perform. This particular case has less weight since the distro is about to go out of support from the vendor, however that doesn't mean there won't be anyone still using it. I guess once its out of support its not all that hard to start breaking package dependancies since there will be no upgrades (although, there is an additional "extended life phase" that RHEL5 systems can obtain, so the April 1st date is not necessarily accurate).

Your favorite distro probably handles this versioning better than RH does.

Chris