On Sunday 01 July 2018 08:22:03 Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

> On 01/07/2018 21:05, Reindl Harald wrote:

> >> Do you have an IPv6 network connection to the outside world?
> >>
> >> That's what "2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:ba8a" is trying to do.
> >>
> >> I noticed the same thing was happening with my freshclam, had a
> >> look at the configure options, reconfigured with "--disable-ipv6",
> >> rebuilt and reinstalled
> >
> > build from source is not an option for most users and trying ipv6 on
> > a obvious ipv4-only machine where even the loopback device don#t
> > have a ipv6 address is a bug - it's that easy
>
> Do any machines *not* have IPv6 stacks installed these days?
>
> They may not have IPv6 connectivity to the outside world, but all my
> Solaris, Linux, and Windows boxes have IPv6 stacks installed by
> default.
>
> So testing for an IPv6 loopback would still say "go for it."
>
> Now, testing for IPv6 connectivity might turn a temporary failure into
> a permanent one, which is not good,

Needs an explanation. Udev is the only thing that will turn a temp
failure permanent, until you edit the rule at least.

> it would probably be better for
> the IPv6 failure message to say "IPv6 connection failed, trying IPv4."

I couldn't agree more. Software error messages in general, suck, rarely
telling the user what really happened.

I KNOW I have no ipv6 connectivity, and likely won't for the rest of my
life since I've already used up 83 of my 3 score and 10.

Thats the choice I made when I married an old maid school teacher 29
years ago this winter. We will both die in the town she was born in.
County seat, pop about 5500. Small towns are the heart of this country,
we've got good neighbors. Shopping locally is limited, but stuff I need
as an aging nerd is less than an hour away, or can be had off the net.

Living someplace where I had to lock up like Fort Knox just to go have a
cuppa with the next door neighbor is something I'd fix by moving
someplace where door locks are optional, there, but seldom used. Here
they often stand open while we go to the store for milk, whatever, and
coffee.  Whats not to like?

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)