Am 03.07.2018 um 09:14 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:

>> Am 02.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Brian Morrison:
>>> It should not matter if the mirrors are ahead of DNS, they will simply
>>> provide the latest version for download.
>>>
>>> The problem is when a given set of mirrors are not available for a
>>> particular requester, eventually you completely run out of mirrors and
>>> no updates happen at all. There should be fall backs to prevent this...
>
> On 02.07.18 13:27, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> it's not rocket science to have a metafile on the mirror which inicates
>> the latest available version,
>
> because it's much easier, faster and effective </irony> to connect to
> mirror
> to check a metafile instead of checking single small DNS record.

but it does not help when the dns and the mirror are out-of-sync leading
to the whole topic - obviously it's *not* easy to deal with two distinct
services that way or w ewould not see the problems

>> linux distributions doing that for decades
>> and they have way larger metadata
>
> that's exactly because they have way larger metadata. If their metadata was
> as big as Clamav's, they'd use DNS too

to introduce the same problems of metadata out-of-sync?

how can it be a f**g problem have a few bytes metadata on the mirror
when obviuosly hundrets of megabytes metadata for linux distributions
are no problem?