Two observations: First, a smoothly working freshclam mechanism
shouldn't require workarounds. And I suspect many ClamAV users
wouldn't be able to deal with workarounds like this.

Second, any time freshclam fails due to an out-of-sync problem, there
has been a useless load on the mirrors (although I suppose using cdiffs
would significantly reduce the useless data transfer). Plus there is
useless load on the client machine and its LAN.