As Micah said, when we roll out the new version of freshclam that supports
https, this will be a done deal.   Technically, https on the cdn is available
now.  Freshclam just doesn’t know how to use it.  We want people to freshclam.
As the way it functions does so in a way that reduces load on the mirrors and
allows us to plan and predict how updating will work.  Not something we can do
if people are using wget or curl to download the entire main, daily,
safebrowsing, and bytecode cvd’s every second (looking at you, person in
Japan).

It’s not a question of if we are going to do it.  It’s not even a question of
when.  We know we are and we know when.  There are only so many hours in the
day, and we haven’t gotten to this one yet.  This debate, while interesting is
essentially pointless.  We’re going to do it.

Sent from my  iPhone