I suspect we all read your concerns, but I have a problem understanding how
that translates into defining a true vulnerability and the resultant level of
severity.

Assuming someone goes to all the trouble of figuring out what the hard coded
public key embedded in ClamAV is, signs a fake .cvd or .cdiff, successfully,
and breaches a network to conduct an MITM attack during an update, the only
consequences I can imagine are that it crashes a clam scanning process or
injects signatures designed to disable the OS. I suppose a targeted Nation
State attack against a critical facility might make all that worth the effort,
but not against normal users.

I realize that things can change at a moments notice, but the current method
appears to have stood the test of time. You have speculated that that method is
vulnerable based on a generality “that doing crypto right is difficult” without
being able to judge for us whether GPG is any better. That's not really enough,
IMHO, for a formal bug or vulnerability report.

I suspect that the Talos community team has access to the appropriate Cisco
resources able to properly vet the current methodology and if changes are
necessary to properly prioritize needed changes.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from bringing it up here and I’m sure the team
appreciates hearing your views as well. My reading of the situation is that
they already understand your concerns, but needed to also respond to those
pushing for https. The latter issue has already been worked and on their
timeline. It remains to be seen whether yours requires attention or not.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-