Hi there,

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019, Vladislav Kurz via clamav-users wrote:

So the question is - what would be easier to code?
- reloading in background thread
- reloading limited to new files

It is not clear to me that the latter suggestion is feasible, but...

1. Reload in a separate thread was first coded about six years ago.

2. After other, more recent discussions on this list some weeks ago,
   I provided a patch for the current version of clamd, using that
   original code as a basis.  Yet more recently, one of the ClamAV
   developers provided a similar patch.  Both are freely available.

3. I've been running the patched code without issue for months.

To begin with, just in case there were differences in behaviour
between the patched and unpatched versions of clamd and the new code
(v 0.102) and the older code, I ran three clamd instances in parallel
and configured a mail server (a) to permit connections from many more
suspect sources than I would normally permit to connect to the server
(so that the clamd instances get a lot more exercise than they would,
otherwise, here) and (b) to scan all our incoming mail with all three
versions of clamd concurrently.  During the time of this experiment I
saw no difference between the detection performances of the three
clamd instances.  After some weeks of running parallel daemons I shut
down those running the old code and now I'm running only the version
0.102rc code.

--

73,
Ged.