> On 2/24/21 6:26 AM, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:
>> For now I will settle on a cron job script that peeks at the hold queue
>> every so often and alerts someone (me) with an alert.
>
> *nod*nod*
>
> I have a daily cron job that runs a script which shows me:
>
>    - Number of messages which are:
>       - Normally queued messages for the MTA
>       - Held (Postfix parlance) / Quarantined (Sendmail parlance)
> messages for the MTA
>       - Normally queued messages for the MSA
>    - Output of mailq for:
>       - Held / Quarantined messages
>       - Normally queued messages for the MSA
>
> I don't show the output for the normally queued messages for the MTA
> because that's a constant state of flux and working like it should.
>
> I mainly care to see held / quarantined messages and if something's
> wrong with the MSA queue.
>
>> I would have thought there was some mechanism already built in to the
>> milter, or postfix, to do that, optionally) but I've not stumbled on
>> one thus far.
>
> There is.  The command is called "mailq".  It's designed to print status
> to STDOUT and be consumed by a human.  Many people have this output
> emailed to them or apply some sort of script logic to it.

Thanks.  Workable.

> Note:  This MTA administration is decidedly NOT the milter's job.  The
> milter's job is to filter discrete messages and return a -1 / 0 / 1
> status to the MTA.  The MTA is what's responsible for managing /it's/ queue.

Ah.  Well I did not mean to suggest the milter should "manage" the postfix queue
at all, but could alter any "directive" as to disposition.   The log messages I
noticed,
for "infected" mail (/var/log/mail) seem to suggest postifix was dealing with
these in a
way "directed" by the milter.

Perhaps these are "distinctions without a difference" brought about my own,
limited
familiarity with the tech and terms.

> --
> Grant. . . .