On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 08:52:57 +0100 (BST)
"G.W. Haywood via clamav-users" <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:

> Maybe there's no need to worry about that.  I've seen cases where the
> build process looks for a shared object, finds a 32 bit version when
> it's building for 64 bit, and then complains that it doesn't exist.
> It does exist, but it's found the one for the wrong architecture and
> doesn't understand what it's found.  If this is the case here, it's a
> little disappointing (after the build-up we've had for cmake) that it
> will get it as badly around its neck as autotools.
>
> Do you really need the 32-bit stuff?  Do you have mixed 32 bit and 64
> bit binaries on your system?  If so you're going to run into this kind
> of thing more or less randomly when you build anything and you might
> need to dig into it yourself a bit more.  If you don't need the mixed
> architectures you'd be better off without the 32 bit stuff in there.
>
> You could try using the package manage to try to remove the 32 bit
> version of libpthread.  If it's needed by something it will tell you,
> and you can take a view on what to do abuot it.

Are the build tools that deficient? I have both 64 and 32-bit stuff on my
Debian system, and the 'file' command is able to report what a shared object
file is (e.g., see below). Maybe CMAKE does it better?

  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasan.so.5.0.0: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object,
x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked,
BuildID[sha1]=3cf2e4b5261216f9a156ed5dc2953d8b6f98987d, stripped

  /usr/libx32/libasan.so.5.0.0: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1
(SYSV), dynamically linked,
BuildID[sha1]=1289f4162c3de1fbe87d1f28ee3876ec8467ac2d, stripped