On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 9:53 AM Andrew C Aitchison via clamav-users <
clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022, Nick Howitt via clamav-users wrote:
>
> > - not
> > have to install some uncommon download package and then download them.
> That
> > is making people jump through unnecessary hoops. I am not trying use a
> > segmented network and hosts can generally reach the internet. I just
> want to
> > be able to package the sigs in a v0.103.5 rpm for my distro in the same
> way
> > as EPEL does.
>
> Does the EPEL build system still work ?
>
> If cvdupdate is too obscure, you could use the freshclam program
> which you have just built for your package.

Andrew makes a good point here. Since you've built the freshclam program at
this point, you can use it to download all the databases it would normally
download and then package those. The downside of this is, of course, that
the daily.cvd changes daily... which means the package would have outdated
virus definitions almost immediately. And, if it gets too out of date,
freshclam will end up downloading the entire file anyway. And, after 7
days, you'll see warning messages about outdated definitions when clam
starts up.

Depending on how many hosts a typical ClearOS end-user has, they would
probably want to set up a private mirror so that they don't have multiple
systems behind the same IP address trying to grab the database files (and
then getting rate-limited as a result).

Private mirror docs: https://docs.clamav.net/appendix/CvdPrivateMirror.html

--Maarten