I apologise in advance if this question is trivial but I am getting
 very lost.

I have been running clamav as part of my mailer's anti-spam system for
years.  More recently I started using the Debian package rather that a
self-build (mainly because clamav requires an increase of support
code) but I am having trouble starting it. In particular it reports

Starting ClamAV daemon: Tue Aug  9 16:36:00 2022 -> !LOCAL: Socket file
/var/run/clamav/clamd could not be bound: Permission denied
Tue Aug  9 16:36:00 2022 -> *Closing the main socket.

I have tried changing ownership/permissions on /var/run/clamav with no
noticeable affect.  In the past I had to change ownership to Debian-exim
but that does not seem sufficient.

What should I do next?  I get the same error for a couple of versions,
103 and 104 I think.

==John ffitch