Hi there,

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022, John wrote:

# clamconf -n
Checking configuration files in /usr/--sysconfdir=/etc/clamav/etc

clamd.conf not found

freshclam.conf not found

clamav-milter.conf not found

Ouch.  Did this clamconf binary come from a package??

What's the output of

clamconf -V

?

Build information
-----------------
GNU C: 8.3.0 (8.3.0)
CPPFLAGS:
CFLAGS: -g -O2  -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
CXXFLAGS: -g -O2
LDFLAGS:
Configure: '--with-user=Debian-exim' '--with-group=Debian-exim'
'--bindir=/usr/sbin' '--prefix=/usr/--sysconfdir=/etc/clamav/'

It looks like the arguments given to 'configure' were broken when the
binary was built.  There should have been whitespace between the last
two options, so you would have had the prefix value given by

'--prefix=/usr/'

and the sysconfdir value given by

'--sysconfdir=/etc/clamav/'

but they've somehow been run into a single value for "--prefix" which
as you might expect isn't going to work too well.

If your clamd was built in the same way then all bets are off.  It
should probably be rebuilt from scratch.

I found an old clamd binary that now seems to work. We will see!

What version?  How old?  If it's a very old version of clamd there may
be issues with some of the more recent signatures - not to mention the
potential for vulnerabilities which have been published.  Also if you
use an old clamd you will probably need old libraries to support it.

ldd /path/to/old/clamd

will tell you about the libraries that your old clamd expects to find.

--

73,
Ged.