I am running freshclam in a build layer in docker to download default databases
for the docker image. Obviously nothing else is installed at this stage.

apk add freshclam --no-cache
touch /etc/clamav/clamd.conf (added this, otherwise freshclam complained about
it not existing)
freshclam

results in this error:

ERROR: NotifyClamd: No communication socket specified in /etc/clamav/clamd.conf
ERROR: Can't send to clamd: Not a socket

How do I execute freshclam and do not inform clamd? This used to be the
default, it is sort of obvious that if the clamd.conf does not exist freshclam
does not need to do anything.